Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages 123>
Gala event and how to dress Link to/Share this Topic     Watch      Print
Elizabeth Thorman
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:26:54 PM

I'm trying to decide on what to bring for the gala dinner in Vienna. Any suggestions as to whether to go short, long or pant suit?
Claudia Sails
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 11:22:33 AM

I haven't started seriously thinking wardrobe for this one yet but it will likely be either a short dress (it being late May) or black dress slacks with a dressy top. Kinda waiting to see the weather. I find it easiest to pack basics that can be layered and/or blinged up as needed.
Buzz48
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 2:29:08 PM

In the moderate weather of last September pant suits were very popular. Definitely coat and tie for the men.
joycesw
#4 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 9:17:40 PM

And, not to be contrary, hubby did it with dress pants and a nice woven shirt. For ladies, all of the above...
Elizabeth Thorman
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 5:14:29 PM

Claudia Sails wrote:
I haven't started seriously thinking wardrobe for this one yet but it will likely be either a short dress (it being late May) or black dress slacks with a dressy top. Kinda waiting to see the weather. I find it easiest to pack basics that can be layered and/or blinged up as needed.

I was leaning towards dress slacks or maybe a long romper. I should probably wait a bit to see what the weather is. I just don't really have anything right now that I think would work, but maybe.
British
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 5:54:29 PM

Is it a dinner at the castle, I forget which one? If so, our land tour went to the same place and I know one of the river tours went there also. When we went, our tour director said there was no need to dress up. We were spruced up, but some did not bother and one couple spent the entire tour in Safari gear and that is what they wore to the gala evening. So clearly everyone does their own thing.
Sealord
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2019 8:27:33 PM

We have visited this subject before. But, in my photos of the Vienna event 90% of the men wore coat and tie, 5% wore a jacket but no tie, and 5% looked like they were dining at McDonalds. I think if you are asking the question you are probably concerned about being ‘under dressed’. So you have probably answered your own question. On the other hand, at my retirement party I wore a tuxedo, and everyone else wore a jacket and tie. I don’t feel uncomfortable being over dressed. That being said, it is not uncommon to go to a party here in California, and see some people ‘dressed’ and others wearing jeans. Still wondering where we met ‘British’, how about a hint.?
British
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 7:23:02 AM

The day before your K and T tour. Sorry if I did not make that clear.
Dixie Chick
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 11:31:59 AM

I agree with Sealord. Mr. Dixie was one of the men in a jacket with no tie, and I wore black pants and a sparkly sweater. Some ladies did not dress up much, but most of us did at least put pearls with basic black or bring out the bling. It was an elegant evening in a beautiful setting, so we did “dress the part.” We were there in late September, and it was a bit cool. I have pics of the event, and if I knew how, I would post them.
Have a great time; it is a super trip.
Nancy
Elizabeth Thorman
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 11:45:04 AM

Thank you everyone! It sounds like some dress up and others don't. We will be dressing up and what I wear will probably depend on the weather. I have some things that would work and can be dressed up with pearls or other jewelry. Very much looking forward to this trip - it's our first trip to Europe or anywhere overseas.
Sealord
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 11:57:32 AM

British wrote:
The day before your K and T tour. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Really. We were in Arusha at the same time, but on different trips?
Claudia Sails
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 12:12:53 PM

British wrote:
Is it a dinner at the castle, I forget which one? If so, our land tour went to the same place and I know one of the river tours went there also. When we went, our tour director said there was no need to dress up. We were spruced up, but some did not bother and once couple spent the entire tour in Safari gear and that is what they wore to the gala evening. So clearly everyone does their own thing.

The palace is different depending on which direction you take the cruise. I googled both to see photos.

Southbound it’s “Tonight, a Tauck Exclusive – a private, gala evening in the beautiful Baroque Palais Pallavicini in the heart of the city, featuring a sumptuous dinner and live entertainment – just might sweep you off your feet!” Lots of gold gilt, white and bordello red. There are pictures showing this in several of the Tauck brochures and here on the website. It shows 3 different men – 1 in coat/tie, 1 in coat with no tie, and another in a shirt with pullover sweater.

Northbound it’s “Tonight, nothing quite compares to the royal treatment you’ll experience at a Tauck Exclusive – our private evening in the Palais Ferstel, a 19th-century palace in the heart of the city. Welcome champagne precedes dinner and a live musical performance.” More of the gold and white, but a little more subdued on the red.

Yes, Elizabeth, there is a range for how dressy people get and I've found each group sort of has it's own "dressiness ethos" so it's hard to predict from one cruise to the next. And weather can really affect it. I think it's nice to dress up a bit but try not to fill my luggage with items that take up room and get very little wear. One pair of dress slacks, silver flats, 2-3 dressy tops, a wrap for cooler evenings and some bling will pretty much cover me for a 2 week cruise.

We're getting excited about this one too but mostly focusing right now on extra time in Budapest and Amsterdam.

British
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 1:52:36 PM

Sealord wrote:
Really. We were in Arusha at the same time, but on different trips?

Yes, we were going on the Tanzania Zanzibar, I think that was our third trip in Africa andsecomd ising the Arusha hotel.
Sealord
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 02, 2019 2:40:36 PM

British wrote:
Yes, we were going on the Tanzania Zanzibar, I think that was our third trip in Africa andsecomd ising the Arusha hotel.

Yes. I remember that there were two or maybe three Tauck groups in the Arusha hotel at the same time. On our last trip ours was the only Tauck group in the hotel. Our TD was Bill M on that first trip. I do remember talking to some of the people who were doing the Zanzibar trip, but I don’t remember anyone revealing their ‘handle’ on the forum. On our last trip their were several couples who ‘outed’ themselves. We are ‘out there’ because of the pictures I’ve posted, and actually my license plate says “Sealord”. (;-).
shiranb
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 9:49:32 AM

British wrote:

Congrats buddy! I hope you'll enjoy this trip in Africa.
Marie Brown
#16 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 8:16:51 PM

I usually bring one basic black short dress with which I can put a nice scarf &/or jewelry. Probably no heels for me this trip.

I'm glad you posted this question. I was happy to read others replies.
cathyandsteve
#17 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 8:52:52 PM

We were on the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. I wore a short cocktail dress. My husband wore dress slacks, dress shirt and tie and sports coat. Some people dressed more casual...most were not as dressy as we were. But everyone was dressed nicely. I don' t remember anyone wearing jeans. The dinner was held at the Palais Pallavicini. For me...it was the highlight of the trip. The performance was amazing, the food was delicious and the night was magical!
Elizabeth Thorman
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:01:55 PM

Thank you, everyone! This has been very helpful. We love to dress up and don't get to very often. Depending on the weather, I'll probably go with either a longer black dress (I don't wear many short ones) or black pants/sparkly top.

We're so looking forward to this trip and meeting the other passengers.
cathyandsteve
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 2:02:49 PM

I have posted our pictures if you want to see them.
Here is the link.
https://public.fotki.com...ons/2017-tauck-european/
Claudia Sails
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 2:22:15 PM

[quote=cathyandsteve]I have posted our pictures if you want to see them.
Here is the link.
https://public.fotki.com...ns/2017-tauck-european/[/quote]

So sorry you had such a poor greeting upon arrival at the ship. I'd probably have the same reaction. We've only ever arrived as part of a group from the Tauck hotel which clearly goes much smoother than on your own. Sounds like the rest of your tour was enjoyable so you might want to give them another try. It isn't usually that bad. An yes, river cruise staterooms are more compact than ocean going. Just a smaller ship. I appreciate all the other details you provided. Looking forward to our cruise.
3 Pages 123>